Role: Consultant, Impact Networks & Innovative Finance
Company: Lelapa S.A.S.U.
Contract type: Services contract of 12 months renewable
Workplace type: Hybrid
Location: Cape Town (preferred). Remote candidates must be in time zone GMT to GMT+4
Required availability: Part-time with potential to become full-time
Start date: Immediate
Applications close 30 March 2023 21h00 SAST.
Cape-Town and Paris-based consultancy, Lelapa S.A.S.U., is hiring an Individual Consultant to work at the intersection of two exciting fields: Impact Networks and Innovative Finance.
Lelapa S.A.S.U. is a consultancy that brings together individuals and organisations to work on challenges in access to finance for African small businesses –-particularly those led by women entrepreneurs. We take an entrepreneurial approach to problem solving and have launched two standalone organisations, the African Crowdfunding Association and the Women in African Investments (WAI) Group.
The WAI Group is an influential collective of over 200 senior female investment professionals working across the African continent. A ground-up organisation, its mission is to support women investors and fund managers through networking, knowledge-sharing and awareness-building to catalyse gender-equitable economic growth in Africa.
The WAI Group has the potential to be a lever of systemic change thanks to the highly collaborative nature of its members. Lelapa, the founder and administrator of the WAI Group, is now strengthening its capacity to support this catalytic potential of WAI with the recruitment of a Consultant in Impact Networks & Innovative Finance. The Consultant will deepen our understanding of how WAI functions using the principles and tools of Impact Network theory, measure its impact and develop its emergent projects. The key emergent projects of WAI are linked to the field of Innovative Finance. The Consultant will study the interaction of the network with Innovative Finance, from alternative fund models and instruments, to syndication platforms and tech-enabled investment mechanisms.
This role is a good fit for you if:
- You have a hands-on, entrepreneurial mindset, and also enjoy seeing the forest from the trees.
- You enjoy drawing on a wide range of perspectives and you believe diversity is a core strength of organisations.
- Listening, collaborating and building trust are second nature to you.
- You’re passionate about connecting the dots between private investment, networks and real world impact.
- You have an understanding of how existing investment models affect broad and inclusive participation in the economy.
- You are motivated to ensure that women take their place amongst the major capital allocators in Africa.
- You are willing and excited to learn about the emerging field of Impact Networks.
- You value flexible working hours and a family-friendly work environment.
- You are already established as an independent consultant or services provider.
- High-level stakeholder engagement and partnership development.
- Support Network Coordination and Growth activities in close collaboration with the Network Manager.
- Put in place a regular communication plan including “weaving” calls to strengthen connectivity and collaborations.
- Facilitation of connections between members, and between WAI and other networks.
- Connect with members to understand their individual interests and improve their experience with WAI.
- Build out the network’s collaborative infrastructure (Online directory, platforms, site, events…).
- Undergo training in Network Leadership with our impact networks partner, Converge.
- Use network mapping tools such as Social Network Analysis to track connectivity between members.
- Track network health and progress using the Network Coordination Evaluation Dashboard.
- Design surveys, collect and interpret results for thematic studies, Member experience, Impact reports…
- Support WAI’s key emergent projects including the development of innovative finance solutions.
- Support fundraising activities including drafting proposals.
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
Minimum qualifications and skills
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Commerce or Social Science.
- Experience in a role requiring collection, manipulation and interpretation of survey data.
- Experience in a role involving stakeholder engagement.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a relevant field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Important: Candidates must have their own laptop/computer, smartphone and a permanent internet connection.
Preferred qualifications and skills
- Previous experience as a fund manager, accelerator/incubator manager, angel investor or network manager.
- Fluency in one of the following languages: KiSwahili, Wolof, French.
- Familiarity and experience with the African investment ecosystem.
- Familiarity and experience with gender lens investment.
Please send your CV, client references, brief cover letter and preferably one or two examples of writing to: email@example.com
Please address any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or book a 15-minute meeting: https://calendly.com/elizabeth-lelapa/15min
Note: Meeting requests will only be accepted from candidates who have submitted their CV.