What is it?
- A dedicated angel “network of networks” for members of the WAI Group.
- A place for WAI members to observe, learn and dip their toes into angel investing.
- A place for affiliated angel networks to identify new co-investors.
- A network that emerging female fund managers can leverage to build a track record.
Who is eligible to join?
- WAI Group members.
- Affiliated angel networks must be represented by at least one WAI member.
Are there obligations and restrictions?
- No minimum investment commitment.
- No restriction to women-led startups/SMEs.
- No minimum requirements for pitch decks/ investment memos.
- Anyone can share a deal as long as they disclose their relationship to it.
- By joining, members agree to respect the Conduct Guidelines.
- Respect confidentiality: get explicit consent from founders before sharing decks.
- NDAs are impractical for a large network; rather use anonymity.
- Disclose your relationship to the deal/founding team when sharing a deal.
- If you spot a conflict of interest at any point, or see one developing, disclose it.
- When joining, introduce yourself and your work on investments in Africa.
- The Chatham House Rule applies. This means members express their views privately, and it is not allowed to screenshot discussions and share outside of the group.
- If your post/link is not directly related to African investments, do not post.
- Leverage the group for your mission, for example:
a. poll or survey the group using StrawPoll/ Google Forms
b. post your hiring needs to boost hiring of women
c. share deals for which you seek co-investment (ensure you disclose your relationship to the deal)
d. request to co-brand your event with WAI Group where useful
e. challenge, build trust and drive accountability through debate
f. schedule a meet-up in your city
g. create a subgroup on Whatsapp or Slack for co-created projects or deep-dives
- Avoid Linkedin-style, self-promotional posts. The group is for discussions, not for advertising your fundraising or consulting services.
- Avoid chatter and cluttering the group with posts that should be DMs (Direct Messages). Try to avoid interrupting ongoing discussion threads.
- Members represent themselves, not their organisations (except where explicit).
Members’ contact information is never made public or shared with anyone without explicit prior consent. If you are seeking to contact members for speaking opportunities, please use LinkedIn or other means. Lelapa does not facilitate introductions.
The WAI Group is exclusively for investment professionals. However, women entrepreneurs may use the Member Directory filters to identify potential investors.
Membership fees help cover the operational and administrative overheads of the WAI Group and the WAI Angel Network.
If your organisation is not a fund (large, small or a first-time fund), then you fall into the payment group “Large funds and All Non-fund organisations“. If you cannot afford the membership fee in your payment group, but would still like to join, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Type of Organisation||Amount (Excl. VAT if applicable)|
|Large funds and All Non-fund organisations||€125 per year|
|Small funds (FUM less than $150mn)||€75 per year|
|First-time fund managers (pre-close)||€25 per year|
If you would like to sponsor a member(s), tick the appropriate box in the application form. Your invoice will be augmented by 25€ excluding VAT, and will be allocated towards women requiring a sponsor. Note: the names of sponsorees are kept confidential.
If you would like to sponsor a particular person, ask her to fill in the application form. If accepted, she may request that the invoice be sent to both of you, and you may settle on her behalf.
If you would like to sponsor women from a certain region or other criteria, please indicate your preferences directly by email: email@example.com
If you require a sponsor, tick the appropriate box in the application form. Your name will be kept confidential.
If you already have a sponsor and if your application is accepted, you may request that the invoice be sent to your sponsor.
Regardless of organisation and professional experience, all members are subject to the same application process. An organisation may sponsor the fees of their staff (see FAQ on sponsorship).
The WAI Group is currently limited to 256 members and selection prioritises seniority. To maintain meaningful representation, we prioritise junior applicants from African countries. Applicants for whom there is no space in the WAI Group on WhatsApp may join the LinkedIn Group.
If you choose to leave the Whatsapp group before the end of the annual billing cycle, you will not be reimbursed. Your profile will remain on the Member Directory for the full billing cycle unless you request that it be removed.
Ensuring women have access to and are represented at industry events is important. Please use the “Speaker” filter on the Member Directory page to find female speakers and their areas of expertise. If you are not a WAI Group member and would like to offer discount codes or sponsor event attendance to members, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org